Friday, August 9, 2013

Battle of the Brighteners

I use to suffer from terrible acne as a teen and now as an adult, I've been able to move pass that, however I still have the acne scars left behind. It's probably unfair to compare these products, but to me this review will serve some purpose for those of you who are looking for ways to brighten and diminish your acne scars.

First let's talk about these two brands, POND'S and Shiseido. These are very different brands, in that Shiseido is high end and more costly and POND'S is on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to cost.

Shiseido is a highly known Japanese brand and these two products, pictured above are from their White Lucent skincare line and are available for purchase at Sephora and online stores. The White Lucent line of products from Shiseido appeals for those in the market for brightening and lightening skin products.

The Brightening Cleansing foam comes in a glossy white tube with a light pink flip open cap and is priced at $35 for 4.7 oz.
According to Sephora.com....
This reformulated skincare essential purifies the complexion and promotes a look of inner radiance. A dose of micro white powder helps remove dead surface cells to boost clarity and luminosity. 

The Brightening Moisturizer cream comes in a light pink glass jar with a plastic metallic pink cap and is priced at $59.50 for 1.7 oz. This moisturizer is to be used for nighttime but I use it for day and night because it contains SPF 21 protecting against UVA/UVB rays.
According to Sephora.com....
Help your complexion recover from daily UV damage as you sleep. This formula's Multi-Target Vitamin C helps reduce existing pigmentation, minimizing dark spots, while Tranexamic Acid adds further dark-spot action. Super-Hydro Synergy Complex deeply moisturizes and refines texture for softer, smoother skin that captures light to convey a healthy luminosity. 

In comparison to the Shiseido Brightening Cleansing foam, the POND'S Cleanser is obviously more affordable, but you may be wondering...."What about the lightening powers?" Both of these claim to lighten dark spots and help brighten the face, giving it that luminous glow, however who really delivers....

After using POND'S for almost 1 year, I find that my acne scars have slightly lightened. I don't get as many breakouts and this cleanser absolutely does a wonderful job at removing most of my face makeup. I mean, I actually see the water stained with foundation color while I'm rinsing my face. I keep one tube in the shower and one by the sink, so I use it a lot. The only issue I have is that it doesn't remove waterproof mascara well, but then again what cleanser does? So what I do is remove my eye makeup first.

 POND'S Luminous Clean Cream Cleanser (on the left) and Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Cleansing Foam (on the right)

The Shiseido cleansing foam is actually not a foam. It does lather up to a nice soft creamy texture once you massage it onto your skin. It actually makes you want to massage your face even more because it's feels so easy to do so.

A little bit of this goes a longgggg way and it has a nice clean scent. After using this cleanser, I noticed that my skin feels squeaky clean (emphasis on the feels word), however, it is actually not. I still find residue of makeup or dirt when I use my toner after cleansing with this. It also does not remove makeup at all.

As far as scents, they are both scented. POND'S cream cleanser, however, has a much more obvious clean floral scent where as the Shiseido cleansing foam is more subtle but also smells floral.


I was recently asked if I still use the POND'S Clarant B3 Moisturizer and yes I still do. It's a good moisturizer. I can't say that I'm completely happy about it, as it sometimes leaves my skin feeling greasy, that's why I really recommend to use only a very small amount, think a dot on the forehead, cheeks, and chin. The US version of the Clarant B3 moisturizer is thicker compared to the one that can be purchased at an international store. That one is more like a lotion.

In comparison to the POND'S B3, I actually like the Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Moisturizing cream better and I will tell you why. Though the Shiseido moisturizer is much pricier, it is very light in consistency, does not break me out, my skin feels nourished once I apply it, and I love the fact that it gives me sun protection. I hate the price, but a little of this product also goes a long way just like the cleanser.

The Shiseido moisturizer comes with a small spatula to scoop out the product, but I don't really care for it to be honest, though I know it's more sanitary. It's great that it is an option though.

Although the Shiseido moisturizer has SPF 21, it is surprisingly not greasy once applied to the face and doesn't make my face more oily through out the day. It looks water-based even in the picture. I think the POND'S Clarant B3 is too heavy and thick for my liking. Also, the Shiseido moisturizer does not have any sunblock type of scent or feel to it, which I simply adore.

Overall, I think that the POND'S Luminous Clean Cream Cleanser is still a winner, but the Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Moisturizing cream beats the POND'S Clarant B3.

I hope this helps those of you who are thinking of which product might be best for brightening those pesky post-acne dark spots. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below. Also, let me know your thoughts about these products, if you have tried them yourself.

THANKS for stopping by!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi dollface! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I sure do appreciate you dropping a line or two. Your feedback and questions are important to me so don't hesitate to ask or comment. <(^_^)>

Blogger Template Designer: Jason Morrow

URL: jasonmorrow.etsy.com